Private English Class with Giamo

Thursday, May 5, 2022

The Forgotten Details: Racial Profiling in Sosua, Dominican Republic 2022 ??



The Outfit 

After rewatching my latest video, I realize that there is a big part that I left out which is related to what my friend was wearing. If Esthefany, my friend, was wearing a tight dress or leggings and showing a lot of cleavage and what not then I could understand why homie would confront us. 

But in reality she wasn't. She was wearing a very modest and loose long pants romper. I wish I had taken a picture of her outfit. 

But the question of maybe he thought she was a trabajadora because of her outfit to me is simply out of the question. 



Black On Black Profiling

Also another part of the story that people might want to know is the race of the man confronting us. Actually, the guy was darker than both Esthefany and I put together. 

I was trying to look up the proper term for a situation where a black person profiles another black person. I don't know if that can be considered profiling or not. 

But whether it be profiling, colorism or anything  in between it still left a very weird feeling in my spirit. 





How I Feel About It 

In the moment and a little bit afterwards I was definitely frustrated, because I really do believe if Esthefany had been white or white passing then he probably wouldn't have said anything. 

However, now I understand the situation where I am staying and will just try to communicate better to everyone involved when I am having a guest over.  

Because if homie had a problem with Esthefany, then his head is really going to be spinning when I have Stefany as a guest. 





No comments:

Post a Comment