Private English Class with Giamo

Thursday, May 19, 2022

Why I Stopped Walking With My Camera Out In Sosua, Dominican Republic



As a videographer it is very important to always have a good camera available. You never know when you might see something interesting or beautiful right before you. 

Usually I walk around with my camera attached to the strap of my backpack. This way I can easily turn it on and not need to hold it with my hands if I want to film. 

Throughout my time here in the Dominican Republic I haven't had any real issues with my camera being out. However, here in Sosua multiple random women have tried to deter me from walking around with my camera as I usually do. 

When I first started to roam the Sosua streets I found it odd that women would actively try to discourage. me  from wearing my camera. In other cities like Santo Domingo, Las Terrenas and even in Santiago I never had any of these issues. 



On top of that, there are so many walking videos of Sosua on Youtube and other social media platforms I thought that that was pretty common place. 

However after talking with some women I have gotten to know during my time here in Sosua, I realize that a lot of the girls you see here in Sosua are not from Sosua. 

Typically women will come down to Sosua, try to make some quick money, and then go back to their communities with that good single mom image intact or something close to that. 

So, now I don't walk around with my camera because I try to be respectful of the plight that a lot of these women are in and also because when I am not wearing my camera it is much easier to talk with the ladies and get more information about life in Sosua. 



No comments:

Post a Comment