Private English Class with Giamo

Friday, August 19, 2022

Life In Sosua: Is Sosua Still A Paradise?



Recently someone asked a question in my comments section that made me pause and think. The question was if I still view Sosua as a paradise after living here for almost 5 months. 

I find the question interesting, because a lot of people I have encountered label Dominican Republic and particularly Sosua as a paradise. However, every time I hear people say that a part of me winces on the inside. 



For me, it's really hard to label Dominican Republic as a paradise when it's so easy to see poverty and  social inequality. 

To be honest, most places in the Americas, including the United States can appear like a paradise if you use rose colored glasses to look at their situations instead of opening your third eye. 



And I understand when people say Sosua is a paradise they are just referring to the beautiful weather, the great scenery, the amazing culture and the beautiful women. 

But to plainly answer the question from my comment section I would say no. I have never viewed Sosua or the Dominican Republic as a paradise. I enjoy the great parts of the country and hope other people will take the chance to travel and enjoy Dominican Republic as well.



But to ignore the issues and problems, I see just even in Sosua, would be an injustice within itself. 


No comments:

Post a Comment