Private English Class with Giamo

Saturday, April 23, 2022

How Living in the Dominican Republic Has Improved My Mental Health



I lived in Miami, Florida from 2016 to the beginning of 2021. Within that time I broke up with my first girlfriend, started going to school at Miami Dade College and worked several odd and random jobs. 

Even though I was never without  any of the basics like a home or food, I was definitely void of other categories of human needs such as a sense of belonging, esteem and self actualization. 

Without a doubt this lack in these huge categories of human needs played a part in my deteriorating mental health. Some signs of poor mental health that I can point to during my time in Miami were worrying about the future a lot, feeling less interested in day to day activities and difficulty sleeping at night. 

There are many factors that caused me to be in that type of state, but I do firmly believe that being in the U.S. was definitely one of them that I'll eventually explain in another blog post. 

So after living in Miami for nearly 4 and a half years, I stayed with my Dad in Arizona for three months and then left to the Dominican Republic in August of 2021.  I can honestly say that my mental health has improved since I've been living abroad for three reasons: affordability, affection and community. 




Affordability 

Life in the U.S. is much more expensive than in the Dominican Republic and also many other countries throughout the world. Even just as a student in Miami Dade College , the weight of this reality was heavy on my mind. 

If I had decided to stay in the U.S. I would not be able to enjoy life the way I do here in the Dominican Republic, because I would have had to be working much more to even just live by myself. 

Economics play a huge part in mental health. When people feel comfortable with their income to expense ratio and also their monthly savings then it's much more likely to not end up in a state of anxiety and depression. 




Affection 

Dating in the U.S. is much more complicated than in the Dominican Republic because of feminism, the rise of modern relationships and the socioeconomic gap that is widening in America. While I was in Miami, I definitely felt the affects of all those aspects when it came to dating. 

However, in the Dominican Republic dating is much simpler and more straightforward for the average man.  This simplicity allows for closer relationships to be built sooner and affection and appreciation to easily flow between the man and woman. 

Intimacy, whether physical or mental can provide psychological and emotional benefits. It can help reduce stress and anxiety and increase happiness which is great for your overall mental health 




Community 

As an African American, I have felt a strong sense of community in the north region of the Dominican Republic, particularly in the Puerto Plata province. 

There are many other African African travelers who enjoy the beaches, the culture and nightlife of the Dominican Republic and also contribute to creating a brotherhood dynamic that I have found to be special. 

In the United States, I also participated in different communities such as a volleyball meetup, film group and others. But for me the feeling of community in the north coast of the Dominican Republic is definitely something that improves my overall mental health. 

If you enjoy me content please feel free to support me to help create better and more interesting content : here










No comments:

Post a Comment