Private English Class with Giamo

Thursday, December 30, 2021

Life in the Dominican Republic: Santiago vs Sosua



I've been in Las Terrenas for almost 4 and a half months and it has been pretty great! I have enjoyed the beautiful beaches, building new relationships and just the overall relaxing vibe of this quaint beach town. I remember when I just arrived to Las Terrenas after exiting Santo Domingo prematurely because I had an  unpleasant experience there. 


This town has been like a retreat from the hustle and bustle of the big city. But now I feel like I'm ready to leave Las Terrenas and experience a new part of the Dominican Republic by either going to Sosua or Santiago.  

Sosua


Sosua is a beach town in the Puerto Plata province of the Dominican Republic. From what I have seen online this northern town is somewhat similar to Las Terrenas in the sense that it is a beach town and relatively small. However that is where all the similarities end. 

People have told me many different things about Sosua like that it is dangerous, crawling with hookers and many low life individuals. The way it is painted on social media makes it seem like a very seedy place. 

But recently I joined a Sosua facebook group where people post about businesses, social activities and other normal aspects of life in Sosua. I'm interested to know if this beach town is as wild as people say it is or relatively normal as it is depicted in the facebook group. 

Santiago



Santiago de los Caballeros, commonly known as Santiago is the second largest city in the Dominican Republic and the fourth largest city in the Caribbean by population. To be honest I don't know that much about Santiago other than what some people have told me about it.

 I believe it's very similar to Santo Domingo, but possibly there are some more cultured areas and less Americanized. But I find that hard to believe to be honest. The nightlife seems to be pretty alive from the videos I have seen on Youtube.  

Right now I'm trying to decide which of these two cities I should go to next. If you have any opinions or preferences on this topic please feel free to share in the comments section! Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment