Private English Class with Giamo

Saturday, July 4, 2020

ESL Grammar: Gerunds and Infinitives



What are Gerunds and Infinitives?
 

A gerund is a noun made from a verb by adding "ing". 

An infinitive is the "to" form of the verb. 

When to use Gerunds or Infinitives? 

Gerunds are often used when actions are fixed, real, or completed.  I enjoy running. 

Infinitives are often used when actions are unreal, abstract or future.  She wants to bake a cake. 

Explain the Difference 

I remembered to take my coat. 

I remember taking my coat. 

Gerunds and Infinitives Exercise 

1. I often go _______ on a Saturday night. ( A. Dancing  B. To Dance ) 

2. When I finish ______ this letter, I'll come and help you.  ( A. Writing B. To Write ) 

3. I am planning _______ a new laptop soon. ( A. Buying B. To Buy)

4. I need ______ at least eight hours a night.  (A. Sleeping B. To Sleep) 

5. I want  ______ to London next year. (A. Moving B. To Move) 

6. Would you consider _______ the speech at our anniversary party? (A. Giving B. To Give) 

7. She avoids ______ in the rain. (A. Walking B. To Walk) 

8. Emily promised ________ all her vegetables. (A. Eating B. To Eat) 

9. I don't mind ______ if you don't want to. (A. Calling B. To Call) 

10. You need to practice ______ (A. Listening B. To Listen) 

No comments:

Post a Comment