Private English Class with Giamo

Wednesday, February 16, 2022

Scammer in Las Terrenas | Reaction to Comments


Nearly two weeks ago I reacted to a video made by a Youtuber named Free Island Girl, whose real name is Kelly. In that video she allegedly exposed Nicole, a Youtuber that also goes by the name Luna Soleil, of scamming people in Las Terrenas, Dominican Republic by charging extra for re-location services and other things. After making a video reaction about the situation some viewers questioned my research, motives and reason for talking about race. 

Research

I admit that I did not do any research prior to making my latest reaction video. I understand that does open the door to possibly making false claims about someone in a disparaging way. 

However, I never claimed my video was a news story or an official report. It's called a reaction video for a reason. I'm just reacting to what I'm hearing and forming my own opinions and ideas based off of that. 




Obviously there are many disadvantages to making reaction videos, but the advantage or the reason why I think people like it is because of the authenticity and emotion that comes with reacting to something either live or relatively close to the moment something happened. 




Also as it specifically relates to this video regarding Kelly and Nicole, I mentioned that I recommended a potential client to Nicole. After I made the reaction video that person I recommended contacted me and told me that he had set up over the phone consultation meetings three times with Nicole, but she cancelled all three times and still tried to charge him $50 for the consultation fee. 

I am not saying Nicole doesn't have any happy or satisfied customers, but that tidbit of feedback from one of my viewers does align with what I was saying in the video. 

Getting into a woman's issue 

Some people directly or indirectly commented that I shouldn't be reacting or getting involved with an issue between two women on Youtube.  To be honest I am befuddled how in the 21st century people would care about gender in this way. 

Now I could understand if the issue in question was about tampons or some female care products that I know nothing about, then in that case I could see how gender would come into question. 




However, the issue was simply related to allegedly bad business practices. I feel like anyone, male, female or anything in between, should be comfortable voicing their opinion on a large or small business who is possibly conducting bad business. 

Also I know many people who are just finding my channel have not watched my past videos. But just to be clear I have reacted to disputes amongst Youtubers when both the people were males , female and male and now female and female. 




I don't decide to make reaction videos based off of gender, rather if  I am interested in the content and I feel like I have something valuable to add to the conversation. 

Talking About Race 

I understand that travel videos can bring in a wide audience of people from different nationalities, ethnicities and races and as someone who makes travel videos  I have to be conscience of that fact.




However, I am an African-American man, proud of my blackness and I will never avoid talking about black issues on my channel. 

I understand that some people might not like that, but if that topic naturally comes to me then of course I will discuss it because it's something that is important to me. 

If you enjoy my content please feel free to support me to help me create better and more interesting content: here .

No comments:

Post a Comment