Private English Class with Giamo

Friday, April 3, 2020

Coronavirus in Miami


The coronavirus disease also known as COVID-19 is an infectious disease caused by a new virus. This disease causes respiratory illness with symptoms such as a cough, fever and difficulty breathing.

The first cases of this disease were discovered in Wuhan, China and it has spread across the globe with the current death toll at a little over 59,000 people. Due to the seriousness of the disease cities such as New York City, Los Angeles, Rome, Paris and even Miami have been shutdown.

In Miami non-essential businesses have been closed, the public beaches and parks have been shutdown and gatherings  of over ten people or more have been frowned upon. Many people have not been able to work because of the governmental restrictions.


One of the industries that has been hit the hardest in Miami is the hospitality business. Due to the limitations within the domestic flights in the USA and also international flights there have not been the typical troves of people visiting the city.

This has caused many hotel and restaurant employers to lay - off their employees. With the surging rise of unemployment many people are unable to pay their monthly expenses.

Fortunately the U.S. government announced a $2 trillion dollar stimulus package on March 28th, to ease the financial burden many people are feeling. Even though many are justifiably concerned about the economic impact of the coronavirus, it also has made a psychological one as well.

Throughout this time of global pandemic the government of the United States has been asking people to stay home.

For example Miami Beach has a curfew that begins at 12 am. Some other cities in Miami- Dade County have curfews that start as early as 10 p.m.

These curfews have had a direct impact on stores closing earlier. This sudden clamp on activities has left several people feeling restless and bored.

For some families being in the house all day compounds trivial and serious issues such as domestic violence and verbal abuse. Even though this coronavirus has brought pain and suffering for a lot of people it's important to always find the silver lining.

Personally, I have been affected by coronavirus, because my college was completely shutdown. So I have had a lot of free time, which has allowed me to focus on other aspects of my life that are important.

I have been able to focus my energy on my photography which benefits my blog. Also I have been working more because, I can't leave the house so I've been teaching English on Cambly and Preply a lot.

The final positive from the pandemic has been being able to spend time with my family. I'm usually very busy running around the city like a chicken with its head cut off, so being at home has allowed me to enjoy some family time.




No comments:

Post a Comment