Private English Class with Giamo

Friday, March 27, 2020

ESL Grammar: Should


Forms of Should

Affirmative

Subject + auxiliary verb + main verb

Example: He should leave.

Negative 

Subject + auxiliary verb + main verb

Example: We should not run.

Question

Auxiliary verb + subject + main verb

Example: Should they eat now?

Uses of Should

1. This modal verb is used to give a recommendation or advise. He should express his feelings to her more often. People with high cholesterol should not eat junk food. 

2. This modal verb is used to express obligation. He should be at work by 9 am. They should clean the bathroom before they go on a lunch break. 

3. This modal verb is used to express expectations. My brother should be in Miami by Monday. She should have finished the report by now.




Conversation Questions with Should

1. I have a good job right now, but our company has changed management and I hate the new boss and I have to work longer hours. What should I do?

2. My girlfriend became a Playboy model last month. Now she travels a lot for her job. I feel like we are living two separate lives now. What should I do?

3. My son is 40 years old and he still isn't married. I'm afraid he'll never get married and I'll never have grandchildren. What should I do?

4. I am a teacher. Some of my students have complained to me about a 17 year old student named George. They say he smells bad everyday. I know this is true. What should I do?

5. My husband's mother lives with us. He loves her, but I don't get along with her. What should I do?

6. On of my friends lost her job. I told her she could live with me until she find a new job. She's been living with me for three months and she still doesn't have a job! What should I do?

7. I'm bored with the routine in my life. What should I do?


No comments:

Post a Comment