Private English Class with Giamo

Friday, November 22, 2019

ESL Grammar: Past Perfect


Forms of Past Perfect

Affirmative

Subject   +   auxiliary verb   +   past participle

Ex: I had gone to the store

Negative

Subject   +   auxiliary verb   +   not    +    past participle

Ex: She had not eaten breakfast

Question 

Auxiliary Verb   +   subject   +   past participle

Ex: Had they walked to the park?

Uses of Past Perfect 

1. The past perfect tense expresses an action in the past before another action in the past. When we arrived, the train had left. We met Martha, before she had started university. 

2. An action that started in the past and continued up until the point of another past action or time. When he graduated, he had been in Miami for 4 years. On the 4th of December, I had been on the volleyball for two years. 

3. To talk about unreal or imaginary things in the past. I wish I had not gone to bed so late. If I had known you needed money, I would have helped you.

Past Perfect Exercises 

Instructions: Choose the correct sentence(s) 

1) A. I have started school. B. I had started school.
Which sentence (s) is correct?
2) A. He hads gone to Miami. She had flown to Thailand.
Which sentence (s) is correct?
3) A. They had dreamed of being professional athletes. B. We had hated the new teacher.
Which sentence (s) is correct?

Instructions: Make the sentence negative 

1. I had believed everything she said.
2. She had lied to me over and over again.
3. I had drunk a lot of Corona because of the relationship.

Instructions: Ask your teacher a questions with past perfect. 

1. to study
2. to dream
3. to go



ESL Conversation Questions

1. What had you done before you called on Cambly?

2. What profession had you dreamed of doing when you were a child? 

3. Had you ever taken English classes in a language academy before you used Cambly?

4. Who had you talked to before you ate lunch today?

5. If you had perfected English as a teenager, what language would you be studying now?

6. If you had chosen to study abroad for high school, in which country would you have studied?



No comments:

Post a Comment