Private English Class with Giamo

Wednesday, December 18, 2019

ESL Grammar: Present Perfect vs Past Perfect


Present Perfect vs Past Perfect

The present perfect is used to describe an action that began in the past and is completed in the present or may continue into the present.  She has finished her homework. They have started the project.

The past perfect is used to describe an action that began and was completed before another past action occurred. Paul tried to hide the vase because he had broken it. She ran out the store because she had stolen a necklace.

The Difference 

The difference between the present perfect and the past perfect is between the ending points of the two tenses. The present perfect will end or refer to the present. The past perfect will end or refer to a point in the past.

Present Perfect vs Past Perfect Quiz 

Instructions: Choose the correct answer A or B. 

1. _______ Brazilian food.
A. I had never had. B. I have never had.

2. She failed the test because she ______.
A. had not studied. B. hasn't studied.

3. We _______ the new English teacher yet.
A. hadn't met. B. haven't met.

4. ________ Brazilian food until my trip to Rio last month.
A. I had never had. B. I have never had.

5. They couldn't drive home because _______ their keys in the car.
A. they had locked. B. they have locked

6. By the end of the night, John _______ everyone at the party.
A. had talked. B. has talked.

7. Don't get the floor dirty, my mother ________ the house.
A. had just cleaned. B. has just cleaned the house.

8. You are working late again?! _______ overtime everyday this week.
A. You had worked. B. You have worked.

9. When I opened the refrigerator, I discovered someone _______ the last piece of cake.
A. had eaten. B. has eaten.

10. I had a great time on my date with Henry last week; but he ________ me since.
A. hadn't called. B. hasn't called 


No comments:

Post a Comment