Private English Class with Giamo

Sunday, October 6, 2019

ESL Grammar: Simple Past vs Past Progressive




Forming the Simple Past (regular verbs) 

Affirmative  

Subject +  -ed verb

Example: I worked yesterday.  


Negative  

Subject + auxiliary verb + not + base verb 

Example: I did not drink water.

Question

Auxiliary verb + subject + base verb

Example: Did you finish the paper?


 Simple Past  vs Past Progressive

The simple past is used to describe an action that started and finished in the past.

The past progressive is used to describe an action that happened in the past, but for a period of time.

Example: While I was eating, my hot wife called.

Simple Past Exercises

Instructions: Fill in the blank with the verb given in the past simple tense. 

1. He ______ (to lose) the game.
2. They _______ (to run) to the volleyball.
3. We ______ (to fall) on the ice.
4. You ______ (to beat) the opposition.
5. I _______ (to grow) my basketball skills.

Instructions: Fill in the blank with given verb using the simple past or past progressive tense.

1. I dropped a cup while I ______ (to wash) the dishes.
2. John and Bill were washing the car when they _____ (to see) their friend Yani.
3. Tony came to see me while I _____ (to do) my homework.
4. The children _____ (to play) when their father left for work.
5. When Melissa was driving she _______ (to notice) an animal on the road.

Instructions: Ask your teacher a question with the given verb in the simple past. 

1. to play
2. to swim
3. to write

Simple Past Conversation Questions 

1. Who did you see yesterday?

2. Why did you decide to use Cambly instead of another online English application?

3. Was adolescence a fun or difficult time for you? (What is one of your favorite memories of your adolescence?) 

4. Where did you go yesterday?

5. How often did you go to parties during your university or high school years?

6. Did you date anyone during high school?






No comments:

Post a Comment